Sunday, January 09, 2011

Five Things I'm Lovin' Friday (errr...Sunday ;)

Good morning bloggers!  No I haven't gone mad (er) I know it's Sunday (going to work in T minus 2 hours) but I had an idea I wanted to do for the blog that I sort of stole off Elsie (I'm so in love with her right now) She does a weekly post called '10 things I love Sunday' So I thought I'd start smaller and do a '5 things I'm Lovin' Friday'.  Basically a totally random collection of things I've seen or done that I'm lovin' right now.  But I couldn't wait until next Friday so humour me and pretend for a moment that today is Friday!
(that's right, I'm dragging you into my madness ;)
So, with no further ado (or rambling) here is my first Friday-ish top 5:

1. How awesome are these!  Hop on over to the Make it and Love it blog (click on the pic or the link on the side of my blog)  for more hilarious pics of these cuties and also a link on how to get the pattern to make your own.



2. October Afternoon.

I've always LOVED their papers and products but I can't get enough of them at the moment!  I'm totally obsessed by their latest stuff especially Modern Homemaker, Thrift Shop, Seaside and Schoolhouse.

3.Woodland Fantasy


As usual Graphic 45 have produced a spectacular range that is like nothing else on the market.  I'm usually not a big girly-girl but even I can't resist these cuties.  (and besides check out the frog chatting to the fairy - I HAVE to have it)  I'm using these papers in my next Simply Cards feature.

4.Monster Hoodies by Polkadot Robot

Totally ridiculous, but I'm lovin them all the same.  If you want a laugh check out their entire range.  These are basically store-bought hoodies that they've altered, crazy and clever - I'll expect you all to be sporting them this winter ;)

5. Wombok Salad


Ok, so I'm on the weight-loss wagon (again) and salad is not normally my favourite food (unless it's a chocolate truffle salad...mmmm...chocolate) anyhoo, my fab mother-in-law introduced me to this salad years ago and it's become my staple lately to keep me sane.  It's so good that I actually had it for breakfast yesterday morning, I know, I'm a weirdo, and this from the woman who once had melted mars bar on toast (yech, I can't imagine why I need to lose 25kg ;)
The recipe is on the back of the fried noodle packet that is part of the recipe (the noodles, not the packet) but we've mixed it up a bit now and then and it's super delish.  So if you want - here's my adulterated version:
1 whole Chinese cabbage - chopped
Shallots - chopped (as little or as much as you want -I just use the top green bits from the ones in my garden)
1/2 bunch celery - finely chopped (now I thought I hated celery, but it really makes the salad)
100-200g slivered almonds (basically 1 or 2 pkts, depending on how nutty you're feeling ;)
Mix it all together.  This will keep together in your enormous tupperware bowl for up to a week,  when I serve it I add shredded cooked chicken, the fried noodles and then the dressing (to the individual bowls)- that way the noodles wont go soggy and ruin it for everyone ;)
The dressing is:
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup castor sugar
2 tblsp sesame oil
1-2 tblsp soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup boiling water
shake together and immediately drizzle over the salad.  The recipe on the packet says to cook the dressing to dissolve the sugar - but who can be bothered?  So I added boiling water to do the same thing and then add a few ice cubes after I've shaken it, to cool it down again. I also added a tblsp or so of Balsamic vinegar for something different.
If you don't like all that olive oil, I made mine last night by substituting the olive oil for water.  Dion had sliced mushrooms in his and really like it.
Muck around with it, make it your own, and enjoy!
ps - if you click on the pic it will take you to the Changs recipe.

Well I hope you enjoyed my faux Friday ;) let me know if you did or not, I'd hate to think I was torturing you all with my eclectic ramblings!
Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

Liz Weber said...

How fun are your 5 things Barbara. LOVE that sald, love the very cute crocheted critters.

Hope it was a good day at work?

Have a great week!

Krischelle Page said...

Love the knitted critters! Can't wait for next week!

cb said...

that hey foxy lady paper is so cute! i am really loving cute little foxes right now :)

xo,
cb

Vanessa said...

Love all the cute monster bits!!

Post a Comment

Your comments make me warm and fuzzy inside ;)