Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wednesday's Word of the Week

Hey there bloggers!
As part of my plan to keep up my blogging momentum I thought I'd try out a (hopefully) fun concept.  I'm sure you've heard of the 'Wordless Wednesday' blog posts, well mine is going to be a 'Word of the Week' Wednesday.  Now, I'm not the most erudite of people but I do like to read an awful lot and English was one of my favourite subjects in High School (Theatre and Art being the others - yes, yes, very surprising ;) Anyhoo, part of my obsession with the english language is a complete despisement of incorrect spelling (drives me INSANE - especially deliberate shortenings such as nite, aaarrrghh, and don't get me started with texting - I use complete words - yes, I am one of those ;) and also secretly wanting to re-expand the repertoire of words that we all use day-to-day.  We need to stop dumbing ourselves down and instead smarten ourselves up!  So, I thought that each Wednesday I could post my favourite word that week, complete with definition, example of use and visual interpretation....ie make a card or layout or just find a pic that I think depicts it.  So, bear with me as I embark on this mad mission!
So, without further ado, this weeks word is:

dir·i·gi·ble

[dir-i-juh-buhl, dih-rij-uh-] 
noun
1. an airship.
adjective
2. designed for or capable of being directed, controlled, or steered.
Example of use:  
' "What ho!" said Boots.  "Can I be of any assistance, Lady Maccon?"  The basket-shaped gondola of Lord Akeldama's private dirigible came down out of the sky like some kind of fat and benevolent savior.' - Heartless, Gail Carriger.

'Auto-gyro's rush in where dirigibles fear to tread.' - Dion Shepherd.

Here are a couple of images I found on the web: 


I particularly like the addition of the chicken on top of this one ;)


And here is my card offering:

So, your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to work the word dirigible into a  conversation this week - let me know how you use it!

Thanks for stopping by!
B

1 comments:

Funkibubl said...

Bah the car in front is as slow as a dirigible!

Post a Comment

Your comments make me warm and fuzzy inside ;)